Tips to Extend the Life of Lead Acid Car Batteries
If you own a Do It Yourself (DIY) electric car, you want to reduce its running cost by properly maintaining the [tag-tec]lead acid batteries[/tag-tec]. Since an average sedan electric vehicle will use 10 to 15 units of battery, by taking good care of the EV battery will worth your while. Check out the video below on the 10 tips to prolong the life of your car battery.
In summary, the 10 tips are:
1) Routine maintenance is key. Recharging and discharging the battery as soon as possible to maintain its state of charge.
2) Recharging a battery at 80% state of charge to prevent sulfation.
3) Never let a battery discharge below 10.5V.
4) Reduce battery depth of discharge.
5) Use a battery disconnect switch to prevent power leakage from electrical appliances.
6) Do not overcharge battery. Do not let battery overheat.
7) Properly charging your battery in stages – Bulk charge for 90%, absorption charge for the last 10% and finally a float charge to keep battery fully charged.
8) Only water the battery after charging not before.
9) Put the vent caps on while charging to prevent water loss from gassing.
10) Recycle the lead and plastic or batteries.
If you are looking for a good battery charge condition checker, checkout Power Probe 319FTC Power Probe III