Now-a-days the media is gung-ho about electric cars and everywhere you can read about the $100,000 worth of Tesla electric sports car that is going to hit the market pretty soon. Petroleum prices have skyrocketed in the last year and everyone is feeling the pinch during their visits to the gas stations.
This has led automakers to bring out new electric vehicles and entrepreneurs across the globe are trying to secure venture capital, since nobody is concerned about recharging the batteries of their electric cars. Take the example of a person, named say Joe, who owns a Corvette, a high performance car from General Motors, which according to the company can achieve 25 miles per gallon.
If Joe drives carefully and achieves this performance then, if he commutes about 1000 miles in a month, he pays around $160 for gasoline at $4.00 per gallon. Here, he can think about buying the Tesla and will gather necessary data, not only to clear his own doubts but also to convince his family members.
An electric vehicle accelerates faster than a gasoline car and hence Joe can enjoy faster acceleration from Tesla than his Corvette. Though both electric motors and liquid fuel engines convert electric energy and petroleum fuel energy, respectively, into mechanical energy; however, these two are different devices and electric motors can generate much higher torque at the wheels at much lower turning speeds.
Nevertheless, electric motors have their shortcomings too, the main factor being they are going to pollute the environment more; so long coal is burned to generate electric energy. Another major drawback is the small number of miles that an electric car can travel after a complete recharge. Moreover, charging an empty electric battery is time consuming and the high performing batteries are not only expensive but have limited life span too.
Therefore, the overall energy efficiency of an electric car is far worse than that of a modern automobile powered by an advanced combustion engine. Both these types of vehicles need to store energy to travel; an electric car stores electric energy in its battery while combustion engine powered cars stores petroleum products in the fuel tanks.
Now let us look at the travelling cost of both these cars for 100 miles. If we assume that both cars require the same amount of power to travel this distance, then the match-up between Tesla and Corvette is perfect. The Corvette engine, which is a typical heat engine, converts energy from gasoline into mechanical energy with an efficiency of about 35%; however, electric motors convert electric energy into mechanical energy to about 85%.
The energy content of every gallon of gasoline is 131 MJ (mega joule); hence, to run 100 miles the Corvette will require 4 gallons of gasoline or 524MJ. Since, only 35% of the energy is converted, Corvette will use 183MJ to cover the 100 miles, when mechanical energy is transmitted to the rear wheels. Since both Tesla and Corvette are very similar in size and driving characteristics; virtually the same amount of energy is transmitted to the wheels of Tesla to cover the aforesaid 100 miles.
However, the Tesla will require a bit of more energy since it loses energy by charging, storing and discharging electricity in the battery, which amounts to about 15% of the converted energy and will not be available to propel the car. Therefore, Tesla will require 1.15 times of the energy required by Corvette or 211MJ to cover 100 miles.
The average price of electricity in the United States is $0.09/KWh (kilowatt hour) and the factor for converting energy measured in MJ to energy measured in KWh is 0.2778 KWh/MJ. Therefore, to cover the distance of 100 miles Tesla will require 58.6 KWh of electricity at a total cost of $5.28, whereas Corvette will cover the same distance at a cost of $16.
The Tesla costs $100,000 whereas Corvette is priced between $50,000 and $75,000. Looking at all the comparisons, you can decide about the best deal.
There are many options for an environment friendly vehicles, the better option could be purchasing an electric car. The benefit of purchasing an electric car is that you not only have an environment friendly vehicle but also save thousands of dollars, which you would have otherwise spent in purchasing gasoline and other expenses.
If we look towards the manufacturer of electric cars, Tesla electric car is one of the options. Tesla Motors Company was introduced in 2003; more models have been introduced in the last few years.
But if we trace the history of pure electric vehicle, we will have to go back to 1930’s; when there were rumors that electric car has been introduced in New York by a person Nikola Tesla and his uncle. But since there was no proof, it was simply thought to be a rumor.
The most famous model Tesla Roadster can today be seen running on roads in many countries across the world. This car is really stylish sports car and runs on battery power. Considering purchasing an environment friendly vehicle, Tesla Electric Car is a great option, this will not only save you lot of money but will also contribute to environment.
Today, Tesla Car Company has emerged as the top car manufacturer of high end electric cars; the company offers most stylish cars which are great alternatives to the conventional petrol engine cars. Tesla has great models to offer, the company has premium electric cars which are quite stylish, the other models are family saloons and even sports models.
In earlier days, electric vehicles were used only in factories as the mode of transport such as mini pickup trucks or as a disability vehicle. Tesla has brought a revolution in the electric car industry and changed the entire scene with the introduction of fashionable and cars which have been quite appreciated by the car users.
The cars are quite stylish and meet most of your requirements. Tesla Roadster is one such example which not only is stylish but is attractive too. You will have to look into your budget and will have to save money every year to swap your conventional petrol engine with a Tesla pure electric vehicle.
Even replacement of battery after every three years of your Tesla electric car, you still save a lot of money. The total saving is almost half as compared to the conventional petrol engine.
Since the price of gasoline has been on rise for the past few years, and driving the traditional petrol engine car is going to be a costly affair, the best alternative is purchasing the Tesla EV.
If you start browsing on the web, you will find many models of Tesla cars which are quite stylish; the benefit is that you save lot of money in the long run. Another plus point is that you still get the enjoyment of driving an electric car which is hassle free and you feel proud in making some contribution to the environment.
Tesla Motors Sold To Daimler? Well Some Of It…
Here’s the latest news on the maker of the super sexy electric vehicle (EV) [tag-tec]Tesla Roadster[/tag-tec]. [tag-tec]Tesla Motors[/tag-tec] has been sold to the German giant automaker [tag-tec]Daimler[/tag-tec]. But not all over it…only 10%. How much is the Tesla-Daimler deal worth? About $50 million.
There is no denying that Tesla Motors is struggling right now. Even though their make clean electric cars, they still can’t get away from the clutches of the traditional motor industry.
Here are some of the news on the web about Tesla Motors and Daimler deal:
1) Tesla looks to future after selling stake to Daimler – Struggling electric vehicle pioneer Tesla has found a potential solution to its recent financial troubles – by turning to one of the giants of the car industry…
2) Daimler Partners with Tesla to Build Small Electric Car – German automotive giant Daimler has invested in electric-car company Tesla Motors and plans to use Tesla’s battery packs in its Smart electric car due later this year…
3) Trying to find the upside to Tesla-Daimler deal – Not everyone think the big Daimler-Tesla deal announced last week is a win-win. In fact, Jay Yarow over at Business Insider is trying to figure our how either side benefits from Daimler’s estimated $50+ million investment in Tesla…
4) Tesla, Daimler Team Up for Smart Batteries, Daimler Takes 10 Percent Stake – Daimler AG has invested a “double-digit million-dollar sum for about a 10 percent stake” in Tesla Motors as part of a new strategic partnership between the German automaker and the Silicon Valley electric sports car startup…
5) Tesla, Daimler Ink EV Deal – Daimler announced that as part of the agreement, it has acquired almost a 10 percent equity stake in Tesla Motors, giving the company a much needed cash infusion…
6) More Details on Tesla, Daimler EV Collaboration and the Future Roadster – Tesla Motors is collaborating with Daimler AG on two affordable EVs planned for production within the next few years…
7) Electric Connection: Tesla, Daimler – Electric car startup Tesla Motors has a new partner: German giant Daimler (DAI). On May 19, at the fashionable Hay-Adams Hotel in Washington, Daimler announced it has taken a 10% stake, worth about $50 million, in the San Carlos (Calif.) auto pioneer…
8) REPORT: Tesla Motors valued at $1 billion – Wondering how much Tesla Motors might be worth on the open market? It would seem the actual figure would depend you who you ask. Based on the assumption that Daimler paid $50 million for nine-percent of Tesla, the Silicon Valley automaker would theoretically be worth $550 million…
That’s the news so far on Tesla – Daimler deal. It makes you wander, makers of [tag-tec]pure electric car[/tag-tec] are having a tough time surviving in the current market. It actually made DIY electric car conversion makes more sense.