There are a number of things to be checked before a deal to buy a used car is finalized. Generally people look at the price, the model of the car and the mode of payment. These are, of course, important aspects of the deal but there are other factors also which you have to pay close attention to.
All the points you must consider before buying a used car are listed below:
1. To be considered worth buying, a used car must not be more than 5 years old and the mileage should be between 15,000 to 20,000 kilometers. To ascertain the age of the car, check its registration date.
2. To check the mileage, odometer of the car is the only instrument we can depend on. The odometer reading need not be true always. An odometer can be manipulated and the mileage shown by the odometer can be false sometimes.
Since there is no other way to ascertain how much the car was used by its previous owner/owners, we have to just trust the odometer.
3. Check the engine for its working condition. Check if there is any oil leakage. The car may look good on the outside but what matters is the engine. But if you are using the vehicle as the donor car for your DIY electric car conversion project, the condition of the internal combustion engine is not really a concern.
4. Tires are other important components of the car to be checked. Check how good or how worn out they are.
5. The ball bearings, springs and bushes are other items to be checked. If the bearings cause friction, there will be an unpleasant sound and you need to replace them as soon as you buy the car. So ensure that the bearings and the bushes are in good working condition.
6. Battery is very important. It shouldn’t be leaky and it should be fully charged. Check for any battery damages before you buy the car. Again, for your homemade electric car project, you will be installed new deep cycle batteries.
7. Car paint will cost you lot of money and if the paint of the used car is either too faded or starting to flake off, stay away from that car.
8. Check the music system installed on the car. See whether it works properly or not.
9. Finally, check the car electrification. Find out whether all lights, including the rear and indicator lights, are functional.
In addition to the above points, there are some more things which will help you to decide whether to buy a used car or not.
Car Model – The car you are planning to buy should suit your needs and your budget. There are different models whose prices vary considerably. So before deciding on any particular model, check out how much other car models will cost and whether they are suitable for your needs.
Mode of Payment – Some car dealerships allow loan facilities to buy used cars. If a loan is allowed, you will have less financial burden. Check whether the car dealership or other auto finance companies provide car loans for used cars.
Place Where You Buy the Car From – If your chosen car is not locally available, you can search on the internet for used cars on sale. There are many online car dealerships who sell used cars after ensuring that the cars are in good running condition.
Checking the Performance of the Car – The best way to check a car to find whether it is in good working condition or not is to test drive it at least for 5 kilometers. If you are satisfied with the performance of the car, you can decide to buy it.